« Page Back
Joseph L Mira
Southern Methodist University
Tulane University School of LawAdmitted to the State Bar of Texas in:
Personal Injury Defense Group
Mr. Mira, a director of the Firm, practices in the Litigation Practice Area. He has a broad range of litigation experience in both state and federal courts representing clients in commercial litigation, including international arbitrations, contract disputes, construction matters, products liability and insurance coverage matters.
Scope of Practice:
Mass tort litigation, construction, insurance, and commercial litigation.
- Successfully represented an electrical subcontractor in defense of a subrogation matter in Potter County, Texas and secured a summary judgment for the subcontractor.
- Represent regional commercial general contractor on various construction contract disputes and mechanic’s lien issues.
- Successfully represented a paving subcontractor on a defective road case that had a fatality and serious injuries in Upshur County, Texas.
- Successfully represented an apartment owner/developer in Federal Court in the Southern District of Texas being sued by a subcontractor by securing a summary judgment for all claims against owner.
- Prevailed in a 2 ½ week trial in Tarrant County, Texas defending a subcontractor in a construction defect case that included multiple properties around the State of Texas.
- Successfully defended a pool subcontractor that installed Gunite in a residential swimming pool in Brazos County, Texas.
- Successfully represented a commercial general contractor in claims against a subcontractor for defective work installed in a clean room in Dallas County, Texas.
- Successfully represented a subcontractor who installed lightweight concrete balconies in a construction defect claim in Smith County, Texas and secured money back for subcontractor regarding counterclaims related to retainage amounts.
- Successfully represented an out-of-state developer/property owner in numerous construction defect, collection cases, and commercial breach of contract cases.
Mass Tort Litigation
- Represented manufacturers of boilers and dry wall products in numerous cases in Texas state courts regarding asbestos claims; represented international pharmaceutical manufacturer in defending claims of a defective diabetes drug.
- Represented a foreign automobile manufacturer in a wrongful death claim alleging a defective passive restraint system; represented property owner in a wrongful death suit filed by the estate of the deceased alleging electrocution by underground wires on the property; represented insurance carrier on coverage dispute with an insured securities firm regarding claims on a fidelity bond with allegations of fraud, breach of contract and bad faith.
- Represented a manufacturer of elevator lifting devices for the maritime and defense industry before International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) in arbitration and state litigation regarding breach of contract claims; represented dental management firm in breach of lease, breach of contract matter in AAA arbitration.
State Bar of Texas, Construction Law Section. Dallas Bar Association. American Bar Association. Defense Research Institute. Claims and Litigation Management Alliance, Member.
State Courts of Texas. United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit. United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas.
Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity, Board of Trustees. Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, Moot Court Judge. SMU Mustang Club.
Southern Methodist University (B.S., 1988). Tulane University School of Law (J.D., 1997).