Aaron focuses his practice on representing businesses facing high exposure and catastrophic losses. He has experience defending both self-insured and insured companies in a variety of tort based matters, including trucking and transportation accidents, premises liability claims and Dram Shop actions. He has successfully represented his clients at trial in numerous State and Federal jurisdictions throughout Texas, as well as prevailed on many dispositive motions. With his experience in the courtroom, Aaron has the ability to properly evaluate a case in order to obtain favorable settlements when necessary.
Aaron has a diverse educational and professional background with international experience. Aaron speaks conversational Spanish and has studied in Italy and Mexico, as well as worked in Puerto Rico, Guatemala and Monterrey, Mexico. Aaron began his professional career in sales with IBM followed by a smaller software company before obtaining his law degree and a Masters in Business Administration.
Aaron has been named by Texas Law & Politics as an outstanding young lawyer in 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2015 Texas Rising Stars magazine, a designation given to lawyers under 40 who are viewed by their colleagues as preeminent in their respective practice areas; also published in Texas Monthly and online at superlawyers.com. A number of Aaron’s trial victories have been published in the Texas Verdict Search publication.
- Successfully defended a national transportation carrier in a multi-vehicle accident where the plaintiff was seeking over $400,000 in damages. The three-day trial resulted in Mr. Speer apportioning 100% responsibility upon a third party.
- Defense jury verdict on behalf of a national freight company in a wrongful death action where the plaintiffs were seeking in excess of $18 million in damages. The four-day trial in the historically pro-plaintiff venue of Wise County resulted in one of the first defense verdicts in a wrongful death case against a national trucking company.
- Defense verdict in Federal Court on behalf of a national freight carrier, in a traumatic brain injury and wrongful death action involving a tractor trailer accident on an interstate highway wherein Plaintiffs were seeking in excess of $15 million in damages.
- Defense jury verdict on behalf of a national retailer, in a wrongful death action in Smith County where the plaintiff incurred over $1.3 million in medical expenses. The jury found no negligence on behalf of the defendant.
- Defense jury verdict for a national trucking company in an automobile accident. Plaintiff was awarded no damages by a Palo Pinto County jury.
- Defense jury verdict for a owner operator tow truck company in an automobile accident involving an Act of God and Unavoidable Accident defense in McLennan County.
- No negligence finding following a bench trial for a Kawasaki Distributor and Service Center in Dallas, County.
- Successfully defended numerous high exposure Dram Shop wrongful death actions involving the alleged violation of the Texas Alcohol and Beverage Code (i.e., liquor liability law). Effectively resolved first party and third party cases at mediation before conducting extensive expert discovery for a fraction of Plaintiffs’ million dollar demands.
- Successfully defended many catastrophic and wrongful death actions involving national transportation carriers across the State. Prevailed against claims of negligence and gross negligence.
- Obtained an Order Granting Defendant’s Motion to Strike all of Plaintiff’s damages during pre-trial in Hood County, effectively making Plaintiff’s case moot causing Plaintiff to announce “not ready” for trial and the Court entering a Motion to Dismiss the case with prejudice.
- Defended a local restaurant owner in a premises liability case wherein Plaintiff incurred significant damages as the result of a broken hip after falling in the parking lot. Prevailed on a Traditional Motion for Summary Judgment in Tarrant County District Court.
- Prevailed on a Traditional Motion for Summary Judgment, in Travis County, on behalf of a national retailer involving alleged falling merchandise.
- “OFFER OF SETTLEMENT IN TEXAS vs. OFFER OF JUDGMENT IN FEDERAL COURT” – February 2011 Litigation Alert
- “NFL Concussions: Impact on Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation” – November 2014 Litigation Alert
- Speaker, “Technology Shifting the Path for Litigation & Transportation Safety,” Northwest Arkansas Trucking Seminar, September 2018.
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Dallas Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Law Firm Alliance (LFA)
- Trucking Industry Defense Association (TIDA)
- Actively involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters since 2011