John Kane practices in both the Firm’s Bankruptcy and Commercial Litigation sections. John has considerable experience representing clients in all facets of bankruptcy cases, including secured and unsecured creditors, bankruptcy trustees, creditors’ committees, corporate debtors, and parties interested in purchasing claims and assets out of bankruptcy cases. John also represents both plaintiffs and defendants in complex commercial litigation in both state and federal courts.
John’s performances have not gone unrecognized. John has been selected by his peers to Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars, as published by Thomson Reuters, in 2014-2019, a designation awarded to lawyers under 40 who are viewed by their colleagues as preeminent in their respective practice areas. John attributes his recognition to his passion for aggressively and effectively representing clients in and out of court, and to the respect he has gained from his peers for his ethics and professionalism.
- Co-Author, article published in the September issue of the Texas Dairy & Ag Review (2014)
- Jason Binford and John Kane, Farmer Favoritism: Statutory Protections for Creditors in Agricultural Cases, 46 Tex. Tech. L. Rev. 377 (2014)
- Co-Author, American Bankruptcy Institute Unsecured Trade Creditors Newsletter, Cut the Middle Man: Court Prohibits Use of Client for Indirect Solicitations, Vol. 9, No.2, May, 2011 (regarding attorney solicitations of unsecured creditors committees)
- Co-Author, Fraudulent and Other Avoidable Transfers and Claims, addressing the use of advanced statistics, and the ordinary business terms defense, in preference litigation. Presented by co-author Joseph M. Coleman at the Texas Bar Advanced Business Bankruptcy Conference, June 23-24, 2016.
- Enforceability of Commercial Credit Applications and Invoice Provisions in Distressed Scenarios, MEMA Financial Services Group, Inc. Educational Seminar, Detroit, Michigan, September 17, 2015.
- Recent Case Developments: Defending Avoidance Actions, Marine Accessories Manufacturing Credit Association’s Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, May 13, 2015.
- Agricultural Bankruptcy Cases: Protecting Yourself, Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association Cattle Raisers Convention and Expo, March 27, 2015
- Farmer Favoritism: Statutory Protections for Creditors in Agricultural Bankruptcies, National Society of Accountants for Cooperatives Annual Conference, San Diego, California, August 5, 2014.
- Guest Panelist: Promotion of Intercollegiate Oral Advocacy at the Higher Education Symposium sponsored by Southern Methodist University and the US Department of Labor (2009)
- American Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association
- Turnaround Management Association, Next Gen Committee (Former Co-Chair and Board Member)
- Co-Chair of TMA NextGen Committee
- Dallas Association of Young Bankruptcy Lawyers (Former Financial Professionals Committee Chair)
- Financial Professionals Committee, Member (Former Chair)
- Mentor, Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Attorney Volunteer, Dallas ISD Career Day
- American Heart Association Cotes Du Coeur Society
- Former Volunteer, YMCA After School
- Former Student Mentor, Dallas ISD Elementary School Mock Trial Program
- Past Volunteer, Dallas ISD Elementary School Teacher of Law Related Education
- Coach, Coppell Baseball Association – Blast Ball, Tee Ball