A pragmatic, results-oriented litigator, John Sigety protects clients’ interests in intellectual property cases, complex business disputes, construction defects, personal injury, and product liability claims. Clients rely on his sound counsel, collaborative skills, and extensive industry knowledge when facing legal challenges. Always a creative and dedicated advocate, he convincingly translates complex concepts to juries and aggressively negotiates to achieve favorable settlements with opposing counsel.
John particularly enjoys making deals and finding solutions to complex issues for companies and businesses, as well as arguing in court on behalf of his clients. In the intellectual property arena, he finds it gratifying to help protect the rights of creative and innovative people and organizations. John diligently stays on top of the fast-moving developments in the forward-thinking, cutting-edge IP world.
To resolve disputes as quickly and cost-effectively as possible, John makes sure he always shoulders the litigation burden for clients, keeping them updated and on track. He is careful to present them with clear options and ask them for decisions in a palatable way. With a burgeoning interest in sports law, John has written on the subject for legal publications.
Following his admission to the Texas bar, John served as a judicial intern in the 68th Civil District Court in Dallas, where he gained valuable insight into the workings of trials and practice before the District Court. Subsequently, John went on to gain considerable experience representing construction companies, property managers, business owners, municipalities, and other insured clients in civil defense matters. He has also advised healthcare professionals in medical malpractice lawsuits and medical board investigations. This range of experience enhances his ability to serve clients.
Away from the Office
John channels his interest in sports into positive community service. He is the director of the Volley for Jenna Volleyball Tournament, which raises money to fund scholarships to honor the memory of his sister, who was a high school volleyball player. He also serves on the executive committee of The Frisco Bowl college football game and participates in golf tournaments that support local charities. In addition, John stays active in his church.
- Negotiated and obtained declaratory judgment resolving over $2.4 million in assets
- Prepared and obtained Judgment Non Obstante Veredicto in which Court struck plaintiff’s jury award of $825,000 for future loss of earning capacity, and significantly reduced pre-judgment interest
- Obtained summary judgment for $180,000 on behalf of real estate company
- Obtained dismissal of product liability claims in federal court on behalf of large national retailer
- Obtained dismissal of subrogation claims in federal court on behalf of large alarm manufacturer
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of national retail chain
- Obtained dismissal of debt collection matter on behalf of real estate company and owner
- Obtained dismissal of civil claims against large Texas-based energy company
- Prepared and obtained summary judgment for law firm client in foreclosure lawsuit
- Negotiated and obtained settlement for full life insurance policy value on behalf of surviving spouse
- Argued and obtained summary judgment on behalf of a large multi-state property management company
- Argued and obtained directed verdict on premises liability claim on behalf of large construction company
- Represent defendants and plaintiffs in commercial, product liability, intellectual property, construction, collection, and personal injury litigation
- Represent companies and individuals in patent, trademark, and copyright litigation
- Represented child therapy business as outside general counsel on various issues, including commercial lease dispute, COVID-19 employment issues, reinstatement of entity status, and state franchise tax issues
- Represent roofing company in various matters, including construction defect defense and debt collection
- Represented individual member of LLC at member meeting and in subsequent business separation
- Represented large North Texas municipality in property damage/trespass lawsuit brought by landowner; drafted motion for summary judgment which led plaintiff to significantly reduce settlement demand
- Advised large national machine parts supplier on export issues governed by federal law and regulations
- Advised business on creation of new entity
- Advised start-up business on contractual confidentiality issues
- Advise clients on implications of bankruptcy filings by plaintiffs and other interested parties
- Oversee and direct full caseload of federal and state court cases through the pre-litigation and litigation process, including investigation, pleadings, discovery, negotiation, mediation, trial preparation, etc.
- Attend numerous mediations on behalf of clients in various industries
- Take and defend oral depositions of parties and witnesses
- Work with expert consultants and witnesses to analyze and clarify complex issues arising during litigation
- Revised language of indemnity section of janitorial services subcontract for large national retailer
- Communicate with clients and draft comprehensive evaluations regarding the status of files
- Draft and argue motions in court, including motions for summary judgment, motions to compel, motions to strike expert testimony, etc.
- Draft all types of pleadings and discovery materials
- The Cost of Fair Play: An Examination of How Salary Cap Proposals Have Affected Past Collective Bargaining Agreements and Will Affect the Coming NBA Collective Bargaining Negotiations, Willamette Sports Law Journal, 9, Issue 1, Fall 2011
- An Examination of Demand-Side Management in the U.S. Since the Energy Crises of the 1970s, Appalachian Natural Resources Law Journal, 7 Issue 1
- Director, Volley for Jenna Volleyball Tournament
- Leadership Frisco, 2019 Graduate