“First and foremost, I am a litigator who relishes representing clients throughout all stages of litigation. Clients value my responsiveness and ability to quickly develop effective litigation strategies, as well as creative and effective solutions to whatever problems they face.
However, my true passion lies in esports and gaming. I am leading the firm into the rapidly growing esports industry and have a growing reputation as a leader in the DFW esports business community. I enjoy harnessing my vast network in the esports industry to foster relationships and collaboration amongst and between business owners in the esports community, helping companies grow and thrive in the ever-evolving esports and gaming industries.”
An innovative litigator, Johnathan vigorously protects clients’ interests in Texas and federal courts throughout the country. As a lifelong gamer, he also leads the firm’s esports and gaming practice and is quickly developing a reputation for himself and the firm as leaders in the rapidly growing esports industry. Johnathan recognizes and appreciates the great potential esports and gaming has to change lives and to create and foster communities and is dedicated to helping the esports industry reach its full potential.
Johnathan understands the various legal and business issues faced by stakeholders in the esports and gaming industries and helps his clients navigate these ever changing industries. Johnathan’s Dallas-based practice is ideally located in what is often referred to as the second capital of esports. Johnathan and the firm represent startup companies looking to enter the esports space and small to mid-sized companies and professional esports organizations looking to further grow their businesses and succeed in the esports and gaming industries. Johnathan and the firm represent these companies and organizations in general corporate matters, advising through the capital-raising process and onboarding of investors and drafting and filing trademark applications. Johnathan has also represented professional esports players, coaches and general managers in the negotiation of contracts with some of the largest and most well-known professional esports organizations in the world. Additionally, Johnathan serves as an advisor for several companies in the esports and gaming industries.
In addition, Johnathan handles a wide range of commercial litigation cases, including cases involving breach of contract, breach of non-compete agreements, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and violations of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Consumer Protection Act (DTPA).
Away from the Office
Recently married, Johnathan enjoys spending time with his wife and their dog, and spending time with friends, competing in game nights, trying new restaurants, and traveling to new places.
- Represent local esports facility on general corporate matters
- Represent top professional esports team in Gears of War during contract negotiations
- Represent esports organizations in general corporate matters, including drafting of player contracts
- Serve on advisory boards for various companies in the esports and gaming industries, including up and coming esports arena in Houston, Texas and gaming tech startup company based out of Houston, Texas – advising both on various legal matters in esports and gaming spaces.
- Obtained summary judgment in Texas state court for banking client on $500,000 breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty claims on statute of limitations grounds.
- Obtained favorable ruling on motion to compel arbitration in federal court for medical billing company client two months before trial based on contractual arbitration clause. Successfully argued that arbitration clause in Professional Service Agreement was enforceable and that client had not waived its right to demand arbitration under the Professional Service Agreement.
- Obtained complete summary judgment for national homebuilder in multi-million dollar wrongful death lawsuit in Texas state court involving the death of a subcontractor’s employee at the worksite.
“Johnathan has been a vital asset in the success of our team’s careers in esports. His knowledge of the esports industry, dedication to helping the industry grow, vast network within the esports industry, timeliness and active communication have helped us immensely in furthering our careers in professional esports. We highly recommend Johnathan and Kane Russell Coleman Logan to anyone trying to navigate the esports space and develop their businesses and personal brands.”
“Getting solid legal advice and having good counsel is crucial to getting a business off the ground. Somehow, I was lucky enough to meet and befriend Johnathan. He and the rest of KRCL have been instrumental to the successes we have had.” – Professional Esports Organization Owner
- Note, Out of “Control” Federal Subpoenas: When Does a Nonparty Subsidiary Have Control of Documents Possessed by a Foreign Parent?, 68 Baylor L. Rev. 191 (2016)
- Dallas Bar Association
- Esports Bar Association
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers