For more than 15 years, Ken Riney has advocated for clients in general civil, commercial and employment litigation, as well as product liability, premises liability and trucking litigation matters.
Ken has defended numerous businesses in the retail, hospitality, restaurant, entertainment, multifamily residential, manufacturing and transportation industries. In addition, he has found a niche representing companies and individuals in the agribusiness industry, including livestock owners, horse trainers, stable operators, agricultural cooperatives and feed companies.
Ken strives to be a trusted advisor for his clients, who rely on him to provide comprehensive assessments and recommendations to resolve their issues optimally. Keeping the companies’ best interests in mind, Ken prefers to be clear and frank with his clients and takes the time to discuss their options in depth. He places an emphasis on thoroughness and strives to understand his clients’ businesses and every detail of their cases better than anyone else.
Because his clients are always concerned about their exposure, both in a given lawsuit and in the public eye, Ken helps these companies carefully consider whether it is better to take a hardline approach and fight a lawsuit in the courtroom or position the company to seek an early resolution. In these analyses, he balances several factors, including business reputations, economic ramifications, and the need to avoid creating perceptions of companies as being either too aggressive or too passive.
Thomson Reuters recently named Ken a “Texas Super Lawyer” in civil litigation, an honor bestowed on only five percent of all Texas lawyers. Ken was previously named a “Texas Super Lawyers Rising Star” in civil litigation 11 times, a distinction awarded to fewer than 2.5 percent of Texas lawyers under the age of 40.
Away From the Office
As the parents of three young sons, Ken and his wife, Meghan, spend much of their time engaged in family activities in the Lake Highlands community. Ken enjoys serving as a Navigator for his sons’ YMCA Adventure Guides circle. Ken is proud of his Texas Panhandle roots but also enjoys being involved in his current neighborhood, including membership in the Exchange Club of Lake Highlands.
- Obtained directed verdict at trial of wrongful death trucking case.
- Obtained numerous defense verdicts and directed verdicts at trials of transportation cases.
- Obtained multiple complete summary judgments in premises liability cases for multifamily residential companies, restaurants and retail companies.
- Obtained multiple complete summary judgments for product manufacturers in products liability cases.
- Obtained complete summary judgment for property owner in wrongful death case under Chapter 95 of the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code.
- Obtained dismissals of parties and claims under the Texas Anti SLAPP law in both the trial court and on appeal.
- Defense of businesses in the retail, hospitality, restaurant, entertainment and multifamily residential industries in various litigation matters.
- Defense of product manufacturers and distributors in multiparty product liability litigation.
- Defense of livestock owners, horse trainers and stable operators in livestock liability actions.
- Defense of cattle feed suppliers in agribusiness claims.
- Defense of agricultural cooperatives, livestock auction houses, food processors and waste disposal companies in transportation litigation.
- Defense of employers in wrongful termination, hostile work environment and discrimination claims.
- Co-presenter, “Unpreventable Employee Misconduct Defense Under OSHA,” DFW RIMS, August 2021
- Author, “DOT & FMCSA Guidelines for Motor Carrier Employer Drug & Alcohol Testing for Compliance During the COVID-19 National Emergency”, April 2020.
- Author and Speaker, “Hold Your Horses: Livestock & Ag Liability Defenses,” 2016 Texas Association of Defense Counsel Annual Meeting, Fort Worth, TX.
- Co-author and speaker, “Professionalism After 23 Years of the Texas Lawyer’s Creed” CLE, State Bar of Texas Success Strategies and Key Lessons for Young Lawyers, Houston (March 2013).
- Panelist, “A Legal Symposium: Perspectives on Escabedo v. Haygood,” presented by TADC and DTLA, Dallas (October 2011).
- Panelist, “Launching Your Legal Career – Tips for Success” at the Justice James A. Baker Guide to the Basics of Law Practice Course, presented by the Texas Center for Legal Ethics, Dallas (March 2010).
- Author, “Texas Supreme Court Expands the Definition of ‘Seller’ and a Manufacturer’s Duty to Indemnify,” TYLA eNews (October 2010).
- Co-author and speaker, “Professionalism After 20 Years of the Texas Lawyer’s Creed,” State Bar of Texas 17th Annual Advanced Medical Malpractice Course, San Antonio (March 2010).
- Panel moderator, “What Young Lawyers Want and Need to Become Trial Lawyers of the Future,” Texas Association of Defense Counsel Annual Meeting, Montreal, Quebec (September 2009).
- Author, “No Duty to Warn Independent Contractors of Open and Obvious Defects,” TYLA eNews (July 2008).
- Author and speaker, “Privacy Expectations of Employees in the Digital Age,” Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Summer Seminar, Vail, CO (2007).
- American Agricultural Law Association (AALA)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Board of Directors, (2008 – 2019); District Director (2017 – 2019); Director at Large (2009 – 2017); Young Lawyers Committee Chairman (2008 – 2009); Young Lawyers Committee (2005 – 2009).
- State Bar of Texas, Annual Meeting Planning Committee (2013); Advanced Evidence and Discovery Course Planning Committee (2017).
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow; District 6 Nominating Committee (2011 – 2012, 2014); Award Selection Committee (2012 – 2015).
- Dallas Bar Association
- Texas Young Lawyers Association, Board of Directors (2008 – 2012); Senior Editor of TYLA eNews (2008 – 2012).
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, Board of Directors (2008 – 2012), 2006 DAYL Leadership Class; Co-Chair, Freedom Run Committee (2006 – 2010), Member, Long Range Planning Committee (2007 – 2010).
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers Foundation, Life Fellow; Member, Grant Committee (2011).