Scott Riddle is an out-of-the-box litigator and crisis manager who uses a collaborative approach to achieve results with his clients. Scott represents clients in commercial litigation with an emphasis on contractual disputes, product liability and mass tort defense, fiduciary and derivative actions, and other complex business matters. His representative clients have included large national corporations, an Entrepreneur Magazine semi-finalist for Emerging Entrepreneur of the Year, and a former Nashville recording artist.
Scott has extensive experience in all aspects of client management and litigation. Scott brings this experience, an old-school work ethic, and an attention to detail to every stage of litigation, helping cut through complex legal issues to develop creative and unique arguments. Scott has significant trial experience including five jury trials as lead counsel, winning all five.
As a legal crisis manager, Scott represents clients in critical matters, high-profile and highly confidential, that implicate not only civil litigation but related regulatory, congressional, and criminal investigations and enforcement actions. In this role, Scott guides teams of employees, attorneys and outside consultants in the development and implementation of crisis management and public relations strategies to achieve the most favorable outcomes, greatest protection of reputational interests and minimalizing harm to business assets. Scott has advised national manufacturers, an international airliner, entertainers and prominent politicians, and others in an array of industries. His clients have faced parlous situations including congressional subpoenas, unwanted connections to national tragedies and terrorist attacks, mass tort and class action lawsuits, product recalls and plant shutdowns, intense media scrutiny, and even two separate clients that have found themselves directly targeted in presidential tweets.
Scott was born and raised in New Orleans, but moved to Arkansas when his dad, a 30-year veteran of Walmart, relocated to the home office in Bentonville. He is admitted to practice law in Texas and Arkansas.
Complex Commercial Litigation
- (Tex. Dist.) Part of a four-firm trial team that successfully set aside a $13.5 million dollar judgment against an oil and gas exploration company through a Bill of Review and summary judgment.
- (Tex. Dist.) On behalf of a Maryland-based fabric tension building supplier, obtained a summary judgment defeating complex claims and cross-claims related to a construction contract and liquidation agreement.
- (Tex. Dist.) Represented a regional transportation company as plaintiff in “bet-the-company litigation” against a multinational waste management corporation for breach of a hauling contract through a successful jury trial as second-chair obtaining a jury verdict award of all damages and attorneys’ fees.
- (M.D. Fla.) Represented a national retailer as plaintiff in a commercial real estate lawsuit against a Florida land developer involving claims of breach of contract, wrongful eviction, and conversion.
- (Tex. Dist.) Representation of an oil exploration and investment company against an operator in litigation involving numerous complex commercial claims and counter-claims taking place in two jurisdictions.
- (Tex. Dist.) Represented a Texas-based company as plaintiff in an aviation lawsuit against a flight services provider in a business dispute involving claims of breach of contract, fraud, and actions under consumer law theories while defending against numerous counter-claims.
- (Tex. Dist.) Represented a natural gas investor and operator in defense of an initial ex parte temporary restraining order and lawsuit for alleged breach of drilling agreements, quickly defeating the TRO, aggressively asserting counter-claims, and reaching a favorable settlement prior to the temporary injunction hearing.
- (Tex. Dist.) Representation of a Texas firearm accessory manufacturer against a former C-level executive for trade secrets misappropriation and breach of a separation agreement.
- (Tex. Dist.) Representation of a 49% minority shareholder against majority owner of one of Texas’ largest specialty construction companies in a breach of fiduciary duty, accounting fraud, and corporate theft lawsuit.
- (Arbitration) Representation of a client in a securities-based fraud lawsuit filed by investors, defending claims related to missed investment forecasts and hyped projections.
- (Tex. Dist.) Represented a land developer and construction company as plaintiff in a commercial lawsuit involving claims of breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract stemming from an oil and gas venture, reaching a settlement worth approximately $1.21 million days after the deposition of defendant corporate representative.
Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense
- (Tex. Dist.) Part of a two-firm trial team that successfully defended claims of negligence for an event promoter and organizer through summary judgment upholding the validity of a pre-injury release in a wrongful death lawsuit.
- (Okla. Dist.) Sat second-chair in a multi-million dollar product liability trial in Oklahoma, responsible for opening statement and arguing a directed verdict that eliminated two of the Plaintiff’s three major recovery theories.
- (Tex. Dist.) Obtained a complete dismissal of claims on behalf of a Texas-based trucking company in a wrongful death, premises liability lawsuit involving multiple parties and complex liability issues.
- (Tex. Dist.) Represented a national shipping and logistics company in a wrongful death suit filed following a multi-tractor accident in Arizona litigating issues in the areas of negligence and product liability involving multiple defendants.
- (Tex. Dist.) After being retained as state-wide trial counsel for a national commercial lines insurance company, tried five district court jury trials as first-chair, winning all five.
- Dallas Bar Association
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program
- TYLA National Trial Competition: Committee Member
- Team Inspiration Texas, Board Member (2010-2014)
- Junior Achievement of Dallas Young Executive Society, Board Member (2015-2017)