Mr. Pilat, a director of the Firm, practices in the Litigation Section, with an emphasis in the areas of commercial litigation, construction law, casualty and personal injury claims, insurance coverage analysis and litigation, and appellate law. Mr. Pilat has zealously represented clients in handling claims in state and federal courts in Texas.
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit and award of costs three months after filing of lawsuit seeking breach of contract and extra-contractual damages arising out of two commercial property damage claims.
- Obtained plaintiff’s voluntary dismissal of lawsuit seeking over $600,000 in damages from insurance company after uncovering evidence of fraud by insured/plaintiff.
- Obtained summary judgment on lawsuit asserting a variety of first-party claims after insurer client timely paid appraisal award.
- Obtained plaintiff’s voluntary dismissal of “bad faith claims settlement practices” lawsuit seeking over $200,000 in damages after discovering that insured/plaintiff’s broker failed to procure coverage on building made the subject of the lawsuit.
- Obtained summary judgment in federal court lawsuit seeking over $1.5 million in damages against commercial property insurer on claims arising from Hurricane Ike.
- Represented major Houston-based publicly-traded manufacturing company in Section 1981 race-discrimination case; obtained summary judgment dismissing the suit and successfully defending that judgment on plaintiff’s appeal before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
- Defended private ambulance service in Orange, Texas, in suit arising out of death of a toddler; obtained summary judgment dismissing all claims against client.
- Defended equestrian facility in personal injury suit alleging dangerous premises condition. Jury returned defense verdict after deliberating for 30 minutes.
- Represented Houston-area business association and five of its officers in defamation suit; obtained summary judgment for all defendants.
- Defended doctor in medical malpractice suit. The plaintiff non-suited the doctor after three days of trial and continued to prosecute the claims against the co-defendant, who settled one day later for $500,000.
- Obtained defense verdict in bench trial in federal court in Houston on wrongful termination lawsuit alleging gender-based discrimination.
- Defended case in which the plaintiff suffered injuries when she was struck by forklift operated by our client’s employee. After plaintiff presented her case in district court in Bexar County (San Antonio), judge entered judgment in favor of our client.
- Obtained final summary judgment in federal court in Houston on claims a condominium association brought against its insurer for breach of contract, violation of various provisions off the Texas Insurance Code and Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act, and breach of the duty of good faith and fair dealing.
- Defended trucking company in case arising from accident between three tractor-trailer rigs in which the plaintiff lost his left leg. After a week-long trial in district court in Shelby County (East Texas), the jury found no negligence by our client; the jury found our co-defendant negligent and assessed over $1.9 million in damages.
- Case No. 2016-03-30; Richardson First Baptist Church v. Philadelphia Indemnity Insurance Co.; In the Court of Appeals for the Fifth District of Texas
- Richardson East Baptist Church v. Philadelphia Indemnity Insurance Co., No. 05-14-01491-CV, 2016 WL 1242480 (Tex. App.—Dallas Mar. 30, 2016, pet. denied)
- Johnson v. Stewart & Stevenson Services, Inc., 2006 WL 3227316 (S.D. Tex. 2006), aff’d, 2006 WL 3627094 (5th Cir. 2006)
- Kosty v. Nugent, 2001 WL 1199049 (Tex. App.-Houston [1st Dist.] 2001)
- Pham Son Van v. Pena, 990 S.W.2d 751 (Tex. 1999)
- PPC Enterprises, Inc. v. Texas City, Texas, 76 F.Supp.2d 750 (S.D. Tex. 1999)
- Darden v. Houston Lighting & Power Company, 936 S.W.2d 25 (Tex. App.-Houston [1st Dist.] 1996)
- Member, Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Defense Research Institute
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Houston Bar Association, Life Fellow