With a reputation as one of the top employment law attorneys in the United States, Darren Harrington has substantial experience advocating for clients in matters related to Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations and citations.
In addition, Darren advocates for companies in trade secret matters. He also handles issues stemming from the various anti-discrimination statutes, the minimum wage and overtime requirements under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), as well as a broad range of matters involving employment and traditional labor law. His clients include national and international companies in multiple industries including construction, food processing, manufacturing, oil and gas, logistics and hospitality.
In the occupational safety side of his practice Darren represents employers across the country in OSHA inspections and investigations. Darren works with clients to successfully provide their employees with an OSHA-compliant work environment. When it comes to defending against OSHA citations, Darren believes zealous and principled advocacy is essential to both promoting employee safety and protecting the employer's safety record, which is of paramount importance to the success of many businesses. Darren has represented employers across the country regarding both federal OSHA as well as most of the state plans.
Darren travels frequently to go on the ground in clients’ facilities to get close-up views of plants, construction sites, and other workplaces. Drawing on his deep and detailed understanding of federal regulations, he works with clients to devise the most strategic and practical approach to attaining compliance and providing safe work environments for employees. In the aftermath of accidents and injuries Darren, performs an in-depth root-cause analysis to help companies navigate hazards and develop corrective actions.
Organizations often call upon Darren to perform the crucial work of protecting their trade secrets through the enforcement of restrictive covenants such as non-compete and non-disclosure agreements. These cases are typically urgent and may be resolved in only a few weeks, or even only a few days. They require intense focus from the beginning so that success may be quickly achieved. He enjoys the fast-paced nature of the work as well as the intellectual challenges and the need to employ investigative skills to determine if a secret has been stolen or if a client is at risk. Darren finds it gratifying to go to battle to protect his clients’ valuable confidential information.
Although litigation may be challenging and stressful for employers, Darren makes it a priority to provide clients with a positive experience, and make sure they’re kept informed and updated. As a former U.S. Marine, Darren understands the importance of providing clients with the guidance necessary for them to succeed in their missions.
Away from the Office
Darren loves to be outdoors participating in a variety of activities including skiing, camping, hiking, and diving. He played football for four years as an undergraduate at Southern Methodist University.
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Oklahoma
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- The University of Texas at Austin School of Law, J.D., 1996
Southern Methodist University, B.A. and B.B.A., 1993
- B.A. in Political Science
- B.B.A. General Business
- Lettered in football all 4 years
- Co-presenter, "Unpreventable Employee Misconduct Defense Under OSHA," DFW RIMS, August 2021
- Co-Authored: "OSHA Law: Protecting Your Employees and Your Company from Employee Misconduct", TEXO Association IN FOCUS Magazine Summer Issue, June 2020
- Law in the Workplace, "OSHA Memo Permitting Discretion in Enforcement Based on Employer's Good Faith Efforts During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic," May 2020
- Law in the Workplace, "Summary: Executive Order on Delegating Authority Under the DPA with Respect to Food Supply Chain Resources During the National Emergency Caused by the Outbreak of COVID-19," April 2020
- Co-Authored: "Returning to Work in the Shadow of COVID-19: Resources and Suggested Approaches for Employers", Kane Russell Coleman Logan PC, May 2020
- Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters (2015 - 2020)
- Texas Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters (2006)
- Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine (2018-2019)
- Dallas Bar Association, Member
Darren frequently conducts seminars to inform and educate employers on the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family Medical Leave Act, Occupational Safety and Health Act, and other workplace issues.
Darren Harrington has successfully represented clients in a wide array of businesses and industries across the U.S. and in the Caribbean, including:
- One of the top food processing plants in the U.S.
- A global infrastructure and water sustainability solution provider
- A leading international services provider in energy, chemicals and natural resources
- One of the 3 major data collection and credit reporting agencies
- Pipeline companies
- Insurance companies
- Brokerages and insurance agencies