Ryan Schmidt represents clients in a broad range of complex and day-to-day real estate matters and has extensive experience in energy industry transactions.
Ryan has long been known for his representation of those individuals, families and companies involved in various aspects of the farm, ranch and overall agricultural industry and maintains through today its involvement in serving these needs on far-ranging issues of critical importance, like the age old areas of Cattle and Livestock Law, Business entity choice and formation, Condemnation, Land use and farm and ranch operations and Water rights and Environmental Compliance and Water rights. Ryan is also experienced in the newer areas of Agricultural Law that many may not even be aware of such as the sale of wetlands mitigation credits, carbon offset credits for cattle producers and conservation easements for Estate planning, and these are just a few.
Ryan focuses his practice on the acquisition, disposition, leasing, and development of commercial, industrial, and farm and ranch real estate, including office buildings, retail centers, big-box stores, apartment projects, subdivisions, raw land, and ranch land. He also has significant experience representing clients involved in a wide range of energy projects, including upstream E&P, midstream, and downstream matters, as well as electric power, petrochemical, refining, and related infrastructure projects across and beyond the United States.
His matters range from the routine to the complex and often involve multiple sites located in Texas and other jurisdictions. Additionally, he has assisted foreign entities with domestic commercial real estate transactions. Ryan also regularly represents landowners, mitigation banks and carbon markets in the purchase and sale of both wetlands mitigation credits, and carbon offset credits, assisting both in determining producer eligibility, program credibility, data ownership, input costs, contractual obligations and program stacking in the relatively new mitigation and offset markets in Texas and other states. Ryan also assists clients with a variety of farm and ranch-related issues such as livestock and hunting issues, leasing, pipeline right-of-way negotiations, and conservation easements.
Clients of all sizes and across industries rely on Ryan for his seasoned negotiation skills. He has worked with entities ranging from startups to Fortune 50 companies, as well as mid-sized privately held and publicly traded entities. As a trusted advisor, Ryan draws on his deep familiarity with and understanding of the many contingencies and issues that can arise throughout the deal-making process in any given transaction. He is a true problem-solver who guides clients toward practical and workable resolutions with speed and efficiency.
Ryan applies his business and commercial knowledge and understanding to the issues facing today’s clients. He has particular experience in the funding and financing of projects and transactions through debt, equity, and non-traditional strategies. Consequently, with his extensive background in corporate law, he helps steer his clients toward the most advantageous corporate structures that best meet their needs. He also is experienced in handling complex business formation issues, including complex corporate restructuring, mergers, and acquisitions.
Ryan has firsthand experience in land-based and marine construction law, which he utilizes to assist his clients in drafting and negotiating complex construction contracts, purchase and service orders, master service agreements, joint ventures, charter parties, and other tailored agreements for various project-delivery systems. A seventh-generation Texan, Ryan has deep roots in Southeast Texas. Ryan makes it a point to get to know his clients and his clients’ businesses, goals, opportunities, and market challenges, wherever they are, so that he can better devise practical, workable solutions that add the most value to his clients. As a former in-house counsel to a Houston-based, publicly-traded marine construction company and a privately held Southeast Texas-based land developer, Ryan’s clients frequently engage him as outside general counsel.
Away from the office, Ryan enjoys spending time with his wife Erin and their dogs, Bonnie Blue and Creasy Bear at the family ranch in Victoria, Texas.
- State Bar of Texas (2003)
- Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2003
- St. Edward's University, B.A., cum laude, 2000
- Advised on the acquisition, disposition, divestiture, capitalization, financing, and reorganization of assets and businesses, both public and private, on a national and international level, primarily via complex asset- and stock-purchase transactions, mergers, private equity, and private placements
- Advised on contract and lease negotiation and documentation, commercial lending, mezzanine lending, and factoring, applied to a wide variety of industries, including real estate, oil and gas, E&P, healthcare, hospitality, construction, oilfield services, alternative energy, manufacturing, shipping, insurance, bonding, warehousing, and restaurants
- Negotiated, structured, and closed various acquisition, bridge, and construction loans secured by real estate and construction projects
- Represented owners, general contractors, real estate investors, developers, and small to midsized companies in connection with transactions relating to construction, investment, acquisition, development, and financing for construction projects and industrial and commercial real estate developments
- Drafted, negotiated, maintained, and updated standardized and bespoke construction contracts, subcontracts, design and development agreements, EPC and EPCIC contracts, master service agreements, bid preparation documents, procurement contracts, joint ventures, teaming agreements, supplier agreements, MOU’s, associated certifications, waivers, and releases, as well as architectural and engineering services agreements, charter parties and transportation agreements relating to small construction projects to large multinational projects in excess of $5 billion
- Represented clients in acquisitions, financing, and preparation of construction documents for the construction of LNG and oil refineries, transnational pipelines, and pipeline ROWs
- Represented the owner of a Houston-based chemical manufacturer in the sale of all its assets, including the real estate and plant, with transaction total of $50 million
- Represented the owner of a major national chain of full-service carwashes in the sale of assets with a transaction amount totaling $48 million
- Represented an Austin-based private equity fund in the formation of a fund, private placement, and acquisition of real property on 6th Street for mixed-use development, with a transaction value of $30 million
- Represented the purchaser in a $38 million asset purchase and merger involving the acquisition of assets and real estate of an international telecommunication and broadcast company
- Represented an oil and gas financial services company in a corporate reorganization, as well as a $500 million complex capitalization involving debt and private equity finance
- Represented a client in the financing and construction of a South Texas oil refinery
- Represented a Scandinavian shipping company in connection with its acquisition of 396,000 square feet of industrial space in the Port of Houston
- Managed legal departmental operations for a publicly traded construction company on a national and international scale, including global compliance, HR, HSE, and risk management divisions in the United States, Canada, Caribbean, Mexico, Honduras, Panama, Jordan, UAE, and Australia
- State Bar of Texas, Real Estate Section, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Oil & Gas Law Section, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Construction Law Section, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Aviation Law Section, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Animal Law Section, Member
- Houston Bar Association
- The Woodlands Area Economic Development Partnership
- Corpus Christi Regional Economic Development Corporation
- Associated General Contractors of America
- Associated Builders and Contractors
- Victoria Builders Association
- Sons of The Republic of Texas