When a commercial vehicle is involved in an accident time is of the essence. As a result, the KRCL Transportation Group is available 24/7 to take immediate action in order to minimize client exposure and potential liability. KRCL has represented commercial carriers across the States of Texas and Oklahoma earning a reputation for being an aggressive advocate for carriers, drivers, and insurers. We are committed to providing the highest level of customer service to our clients, which include national carriers such as FedEx Freight, Tyson, CH Robinson, USA Truck, Saia, Quality Distribution, Transplace, and AT&T, as well as logistic carriers and owner operators. The Group is knowledgeable of all regulatory and legal matters that impact a carrier’s operations. We understand the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR) and work with independent professionals to efficiently reduce or avoid liability in a wide array of transportation matters. KRCL regularly provides the following critical services for our transportation clients:
- Emergency response investigations
- Collection of evidence, including witness statements, photographs and videos
- The use of engineering, biomechanics and animation
- Identification of liability, medical, vocational and economic experts
- Familiarity with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations as well as Department of Transportation Regulations
In catastrophic accidents, there are often a limited number of qualified experts, such as engineers and accident reconstructionists, who are adept at testifying. Sometimes it is strategic to retain certain experts so that opposing counsel cannot. It is extremely important to assemble a team and investigate these accidents as soon as possible while preserving the investigative privilege. As such, it is important to retain those experts as quickly as possible and facilitate an inspection of the evidence before it is altered. Critical evidence is available at the scene and spoliation issues are an important consideration. When engaged early, counsel can be present at the accident scene to direct interviews and to oversee the investigation. Critical evidentiary decisions at this phase can define a case. Often, gathering too much information can be just as harmful as not gathering enough. Counsel will make decisions regarding the evidence to be collected or recorded, including witness or investigating officer interviews, whether to obtain affidavits, and whether certain scenes are photographed. When performed by counsel, witness interviews and other investigative activities are privileged information. In addition, counsel is generally better prepared to handle the potential requests and demands from the local authorities and law enforcement, independent investigators, prosecutors, media, and any curious onlookers. KRCL attorneys work with retained experts to develop an initial strategy that helps counsel effectively and efficiently defend a case.
In addition to zealous advocacy, the Group believes in counseling and educating its clients on how to identify possible sources of future litigation in order to minimize future exposure before a claim is even filed. KRCL attorneys have counseled their clients through highly contentious mediations and vigorously defended many cases to verdict across the State. In addition to the Group’s extensive trial experience, the attorneys have the ability to reach favorable settlements when necessary and to avoid needless litigation costs for their clients.
Recently, KRCL’s trucking attorneys obtained defense verdicts in a number of high exposure fatalities and traumatic brain injury cases involving extensive life care plans. Given our state-wide presence, KRCL has developed an extensive group of contacts in the more difficult venues throughout Texas. For example, KRCL obtained a unanimous defense jury verdict on behalf of a national freight carrier in a wrongful death action where the plaintiffs were seeking in excess of $18 million in damages. The four-day trial in the historically pro-plaintiff venue of Wise County resulted in one of the first defense verdicts in a wrongful death case against a national trucking company. Additionally, KRCL received a unanimous defense jury verdict – following 12 minutes of deliberation – on behalf of a national freight carrier, in a traumatic brain injury and wrongful death action involving a tractor trailer accident in the Eastern District of Texas. The last settlement demand prior to trial was in excess of $15 million.
The KRCL Transportation Group efficiently and aggressively investigates claims, gathering as much information as possible, and quickly analyzing the issues in order to evaluate the potential exposure early. Then, KRCL advises its clients when to resolve a case before incurring the cost of litigation or prepare to defend a case for trial.
- Obtained a unanimous defense jury verdict on behalf of a national freight carrier in a wrongful death action where the plaintiffs sought more than $18 million in damages. The four-day trial in Wise County—a historically pro-plaintiff venue—resulted in one of the first defense verdicts in a wrongful death case against a national trucking company.
- Won a unanimous defense jury verdict—following 12 minutes of jury deliberation—on behalf of a national freight carrier in a traumatic brain injury and wrongful death action. That case involved a tractor trailer accident in the Eastern District of Texas where the last settlement demand before trial was in excess of $15 million.
- Defended a national transportation carrier in a multi-vehicle accident that resulted in serious injury to the Plaintiff. Successfully apportioned 100% responsibility upon another vehicle involved in the accident, even though it never contacted Plaintiff’s vehicle and the driver was not present at the trial. Claims for damages sought in the amount of $410,000.
- Settlement on behalf of national freight carrier at mediation where plaintiff disputed a pre-suit verbal settlement agreement, obtained thousands of dollars in additional questionable medical treatment, and then filed suit seeking ten times the pre-suit settlement demand. At mediation, no further offers were made to the plaintiff and suit was settled for less than the pre-suit verbal settlement amount.
- Mediated settlement representing a national trucking company in a multi-vehicle accident involving four different tractor-trailers in plaintiff-friendly Hidalgo County. In spite of adverse facts, client’s share of settlement represented less than 5% of the total settlement.
- Currently representing a national trucking company in a lawsuit filed in Denton County arising from a multi-vehicle accident involving numerous teenage plaintiffs who sustained catastrophic injuries, including traumatic brain injury.
- Obtained successful result at mediation on behalf of a national trucking company in a lawsuit filed in El Paso, an extremely plaintiff-friendly venue, involving unfavorable fact pattern wherein plaintiff sustained numerous fractured discs in spine.
- Unanimous defense jury verdict on behalf of a national freight carrier in a wrongful death action where the plaintiffs were seeking in excess of $18 million in damages. The four-day trial in the historically pro-plaintiff venue of Wise County resulted in one of the first defense verdicts in a wrongful death case against a national trucking company.
- Settlement on behalf of national freight carrier where client paid no money. The lawsuit was filed in Midland County arising from a fatality accident involving multiple eighteen wheelers and a pedestrian.
- Unanimous defense jury verdict – following 12 minutes of deliberation – on behalf of national freight carrier, in traumatic brain injury and wrongful death action involving a tractor trailer accident on an interstate highway filed in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas in Marshall. Last settlement demand prior to trial was in excess of $15 million.