With more than three decades of experience and the recipient of numerous honors by prominent publications and ranking agencies, Dennis Duffy concentrates exclusively on representing management in all aspects of labor and employment law matters.
Viewing prompt responsiveness and thorough preparation as the hallmarks of his practice, Dennis ensures that he is always available to provide salient approaches to clients’ workplace challenges.
Dennis provides strategic advice and advocates for clients in a variety of industries including energy, construction, technology, and financial services, representing them in Texas and other states throughout the country. In addition, he handles many executive employment issues, advising management and boards on legal issues related to hiring, contracts, and other employment issues involving high-level executives. He draws on a rich professional background that includes serving as general counsel and in roles in government and academia. In addition to his labor and employment law expertise, Dennis is a nationally recognized speaker and author in the area of evidentiary privileges and legal ethics.
Dennis constantly monitors the ever-changing employment law landscape to anticipate how to best apply new developments and cutting-edge strategies to his clients’ particular problems. He believes in frequent and effective communication and explains issues in plain English rather than legalese so clients thoroughly understand their options and any potential consequences. In the courtroom, Dennis crafts narratives that juries find both clear and compelling.
When defending clients in litigation, Dennis always takes their overall strategic goals into account in advising them about whether to fight or settle matters. He works diligently to help clients reduce the overall incidence of claims, assess the probability that any claims brought will be successful, and increase the likelihood that issues can be resolved efficiently, with the smallest amount of legal spend possible to get a favorable outcome.
Away from the Office
Dennis loves to spend time with his family and large, close-knit extended family. He is also a fan of biographies and a New York Times crossword puzzle addict.
- Labor & Employment
- OSHA Defense
- State Bar of California (1984)
- State Bar of Texas (1986)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1982
- Princeton University, B.A., 1979
With over three decades of experience, Dennis has held the following positions:
- Houston Firm: Chair, Management Labor and Employment Practice Group
- Time Warner Inc.: Vice President and Associate General Counsel and Chief Counsel, Labor and Employment
- University of Houston System/University of Houston: General Counsel
- U.S. Office of Compliance: General Counsel
- University of Houston Law Center: Professor of Law
- University of Virginia School of Law: Visiting Professor of Law
- San Antonio Firm: Management Labor and Employment Lawyer
- San Francisco Firm: Management Labor and Employment Lawyer
- Law Clerk for the Honorable George P. Kazen of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
Dennis is board-certified in labor and employment law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, a fellow in the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, and ranked in Chambers USA as a "Leading Lawyer."
- Law in the Workplace, “Fifth Circuit Declares Day-Rate Workers, even Those Earning over $200K/Year, Not Exempt—Unless the Employer Also Pays a Weekly Guaranteed Amount,” September 2021.
- Law in the Workplace, "Texas "Anti-Vaccination Passport" Law," June 2021.
- Law in the Workplace, "Tips for Conducting Effective Internal Investigations – Including "Zoom" Investigations – Part II," March 2021.
- Law in the Workplace, "Tips for Conducting Effective Internal Investigations —Including “Zoom” Investigations — Part I," February 2021.
- Board Certified, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Labor and Employment Law (1990)
- Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters (2008 - 2021)
- Best Lawyers in America©, U.S. News & World Report (2009 - 2022)
- Ranked in Chambers USA Guide, Labor & Employment
- Lawdragon 500: Leading U.S. Corporate Employment Lawyer, 2020, 2022
- Chambers Global: Labor & Employment (USA), 2019 – 2021; Band 2, 2019-2020
– Band 2, 2019 – 2021
- Chambers USA: Labor & Employment in Texas, 2011 – 2021
– Band 1, 2017 – 2020
- The Legal 500 United States, 2019
– Recommended in Labor and Employment Disputes (including collective actions): Defense
- Benchmark Litigation: Labor & Employment Attorney of the Year, Texas, 2019
- Acritas Star, 2016
- Who’s Who Legal: Labour, Employment & Benefits, 2012 – 2019
- Human Resource Executive “Nation’s Most Powerful Employment Attorneys—Top 100”, 2008 – 2019
- “Ten Most Powerful Employment Attorneys in America”, 2008
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2009 – Present
– Texas: Employment Law – Management
– Texas: Labor Law – Management
– Texas: Litigation – Labor and Employment
- Texas Super Lawyers “Top 100”, 2019
- College of Labor and Employment Lawyers - Fellow
- National Employment Law Institute - Chair, Board of Directors
- Children at Risk: Advisory Board