« Page Back
Jason B Binford
St. Mary's University; Texas A&M University
St. Mary's University School of LawAdmitted to the State Bar of Texas in:
Insolvency Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights
Mr. Binford, a director of the Firm, practices in the Insolvency, Bankruptcy & Creditor Rights Section. His experience includes representation of debtors and creditors in large to mid-size Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 cases. He has significant familiarity and expertise in issues unique to vendor creditors and has developed several niche areas of experience including 363 sales, intellectual property, landlord/tenant, and franchise issues.
Scope of Practice:
Insolvency and creditor rights.
Selected for Rising Stars list by Thomson Reuters (2011-2015), a designation given to lawyers under 40 who are viewed by their colleagues as preeminent in their respective practice areas.
Jo Anna Moreland Outstanding Committee Chair Award (2008).
State Bar of Texas. College of the State Bar of Texas. John C. Ford American Inn of Court (Barrister). American Bar Association. Dallas Bar Association. Dallas Association of Young Lawyers. American Bankruptcy Institute. Turnaround Management Association. DFW Association of Young Bankruptcy Lawyers.
State Bar of Texas (2004). United States Supreme Court. United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas.
- Speaker, Structured Workouts: Franchisor Strategies for Dealing with the Financially-Challenged Franchisee, American Bar Association Forum on Franchising, October 2015.
- Author, Issues Raised by the Bankruptcy Filing of a Cooperative Association Member, The Cooperative Accountant, Spring 2015.
- Author, Licensing Sees Ratification in Trump Case, Hotel News Now, April 27, 2015.
- Speaker, Agricultural Bankruptcy Cases: Protecting Yourself, Cattle Raisers Convention and Expo, March 27, 2015.
- Author, Enforceability of Liquidated Damages Clauses, Hotel News Now, February 2, 2015.
- Author, Franchisors: Striking Out in Bankruptcy Court, Hotel News Now, November 10, 2014.
- Co-author, article published in the September issue of the Texas Dairy & Ag Review (2014).
- Author, Preparing for a Franchisor Bankruptcy Filing, Hotel News Now, April 28, 2014.
- Jason Binford and John Kane, Farmer Favoritism: Statutory Protections for Creditors in Agricultural Cases, 46 Tex. Tech. L. Rev. 377 (2014).
- Author, Bankruptcies Bring Acquisition Opportunities, Hotel News Now, March 26, 2014.
- Author, Bankruptcy: New Fee Guidelines, Texas Lawyer, December 16, 2013.
- Speaker, IP Licenses in Bankruptcy: Navigating Sec. 365 and Divergent Circuit Rulings, webinar (2013).
- Author, Bankruptcy and Assignment of Franchise Agreements Over Franchisor's Objection: Response, 33-SUM Franchise L.J. 93 (2013).
- Author, Bankruptcy and the Franchise Agreement, Dallas Bar Association Headnotes, June 2013, at 13.
- Author, Assigning a Franchise Agreement Over the Franchisor’s Objection: Bankruptcy May Make it Possible, American Bar Association, Franchise Law Journal (Fall 2012).
- Speaker, Landlord Tenant Issues in Bankruptcy Cases, Dallas Bar Association Real Property Law Section, September 10, 2012.
- Author, Falling Down the Waterfall: Recharacterizing Non-Insider Claims, ABI Unsecured Trade Creditors Committee (2012).
- Author, Core and Noncore, Texas Lawyer, Dec. 19, 2011, at 21.
- Panelist, Bankruptcy Jurisdictional Issues and the Effects of Stern v. Marshall on Bankruptcy Courts and Beyond, Federal Bar Association, Dallas Chapter (2011).
- Author, Racing the 210-Day Bankruptcy Clock, Texas Lawyer, Nov. 28, 2011, at 18.
- Speaker, How to Make a Leasehold Mortgage Work – Getting Waivers and Subordinations Without the Landlord Losing Control, International Council of Shopping Centers Law Conference, Phoenix, Arizona (2011).
- Speaker, Plan B -- Why it is Essential to Understand Real Estate and Franchise Issues in Bankruptcy Cases -- Even When a Bankruptcy Filing is Not (Yet) Contemplated, International Council of Shopping Centers Annual Real Estate Conference (ReCon), Las Vegas, Nevada (2011).
- Author, Adequate Assurance of Future Performance: Change the Focus, Change the Results, 30-APR Am. Bankr. Inst. J. 52 (2011).
- Co-author, Equitable Mootness: Will the Surgery Kill the Patient?, 29-SEP Am. Bankr. Inst. J. 40 (2010).
- Author, Beyond Chimerical Possibilities: The Meaning and Application of Adequate Assurance of Future Performance, 18 Am. Bankr. Inst. L. Rev. 191 (2010).
- Panelist, Stratford Publications, Inc. national webinar CLE, Intellectual Property Licenses in Bankruptcy, Strategies for Licensees and Licensors to Protect IP Interests Under the Code (July 2010).
- Panelist, Stratford Publications, Inc. national webinar CLE, Real Estate Bankruptcies: Single Asset Real Estate and the Lessons of General Growth (April 2010).
- Co-author, The Top Ten Cases That Every Bankruptcy Practitioner Should Know (Plus Certain Additional Honorable Mentions), The Federal Lawyer (February 2010); Speaker, Federal Bar Association (Dallas Chapter) Bankruptcy Practice Seminar.\Author, Supreme Court Passes on Assumption and Assignment of Trademark License Agreements, 28-JUN Am. Bankr. Inst. J. 36 (2009).
- Author, Comparing Trademarks to Other Types of Intellectual Property in Bankruptcy Cases: Apple to Apple, or Macintosh™ to Sunkist™ (November 2008); Speaker, 27th Annual Jay L. Westbrook Bankruptcy Conference.
- Author, Collusion Confusion: Where Do Courts Draw the Lines in Applying Bankruptcy Code Section 363(n)? 24 Emory Bankr. Dev. J. 41 (2008).
- Author, Deadline Hard Line: Bowles v. Russell and the Special Significance of Statutory Deadlines, 26-OCT Am. Bankr. Inst. J. 22 (2007).
- Author and speaker, The Ten Most Important Changes Affecting Chapter 11 Practice, CLE entitled "Understanding the Bankruptcy Reform Act of 2005 in Texas" (2006).
- Author, The Bankruptcy Abuse Prevent and Consumer Protection Act of 2005: Changes to the Bankruptcy Code Affecting Corporate Bankruptcies (2005).
Active Pro Bono attorney through the Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program. Co-Chair, Dallas Bar Association Pro Bono Activities Committee (2007-2008).
English and Spanish.
St. Mary's University School of Law, cum laude (J.D., 2004); Editor-in-Chief, St. Mary's Law Journal; Law school externship, The Honorable Emilio M. Garza, United States Circuit Judge for the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals (2002). St. Mary's University (Master of Arts -- International Relations, 2004), distinguished graduate. Texas A&M University (B.B.A. 1998).