Michael represents businesses in employment and commercial matters, including matters involving data privacy and protection.
Michael’s experience is both deep and varied. His experience spans over a decade in a wide variety of industries, through every stage of the economic cycle, and in venues throughout Texas and the country. Clients frequently call on Michael to advise on complicated and sensitive matters involving company personnel and business relationships. While Michael works hard to resolve disputes outside of litigation, if a matter must be litigated, Michael pursues his client’s interests doggedly and persistently while keeping an even keel. For matters that have proceeded to litigation, Michael has an enviable record.
Michael is Board Certified in Labor & Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and has encountered nearly every type of employment-related dispute. Additionally, a growing part of Michael’s practice involves data privacy and protection of proprietary data, such as trade secrets and other confidential information. Michael advises on compliance with emerging data privacy laws, such as the CPRA and the GDPR, as well as legacy privacy-related laws. He has extensive experience litigating disputes involving the misappropriation of propriety data and trade secrets by employees and others. Michael also litigates general commercial disputes on behalf of his clients.
Away from the Office
Michael enjoys spending time with his wife, three children, and their rescue dog.
- State Bar of Texas (2009)
South Texas College of Law, J.D., 2009
- Managing Editor, South Texas Law Review
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.A., 2005
- Representing businesses in commercial disputes with competitors, suppliers, and third parties
- Representing companies and executives in employment agreements and separations
- Defending employers in single-plaintiff employment lawsuits
- Defending businesses against FLSA collective actions and audits
- Defending businesses against EEOC, NLRB, and state agency charges
- Advising on compliance with the GDPR, UK GDPR, and state data privacy laws
- Presentation, "Data Privacy & Data Protection: Mid-Year Update," KRCL Labor & Employment Seminar - Employment Law Legal Developments, Trends and Challenges. (June 13, 2023)
- Presentation, "Data Privacy & Data Protection: Mid-Year Update," KRCL Labor & Employment Seminar - Employment Law Legal Developments, Trends and Challenges. (May 10, 2023)
- Presentation, The ADA: Post COVID-19, HR Houston Gulf Coast Symposium, Aug. 4, 2021
- Presentation, How Much is Too Much? “Undue Hardship” under the ADA, HR Houston’s HR Convos - Employment Law, Feb. 2, 2021.
- Presentation, The COVID-19 Vaccine: What It Means For Your Workforce, American Osteopathic Association, Jan. 12, 2021
- Article, What the COVID-19 Vaccine Means for Your Workforce, MGMA Connection Magazine, Jan. 2021
- Quoted in COVID-19 vaccine policy: Is your medical practice ready?, MGMA.com Stat Article (Dec. 17, 2020)
- Article, What the COVID-19 Vaccine Means for Your Workforce, MGMA.com Insight Article (Nov. 29, 2020)
- Board Certified in Labor & Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law – Management, 2021 – present
- Texas Rising Star, Labor and Employment, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2014 – 2023
- Houston Young Lawyers Association Leadership Academy, Class of 2010 - 2011