Whether you’re navigating a compliance maze or resolving a construction dispute, our attorneys know how to get things done and move projects forward rather than put up roadblocks along the way.
Kane Russell Coleman Logan has decades of experience representing construction industry clients in both transactional matters and in disputes, including critical bet-the-company trials and arbitrations.
Our practice group empowers industry professionals to rely on a single, one-stop law firm to manage all phases of a construction project, from project funding, land development and contract negotiation to the resolution of all types of construction disputes, arbitrations, or lawsuits.
Our clients depend on our industry knowledge and breadth of experience. Clients include:
- Owners and developers
- General contractors
- Product manufacturers
- Design professionals
- Insurance companies/sureties
Comprehensive Construction Transaction Services
On the transactional side, we provide one-stop, pragmatic, and cost-efficient legal assistance in construction industry transactions from project funding, land development, and contract negotiation to corporate formation and governance, tax issues, protection of intellectual property rights, bankruptcy/insolvency, immigration issues, and much more. The breadth our firm allows us to bring highly experienced attorneys from any discipline into a construction-related transaction.
KRCL represents both small, family-owned businesses to some of the largest contractors, owners, and developers in the country. Among our special areas of focus are multi-family, commercial, retail, hotel/hospitality, and residential development projects, including some of the leading projects in Texas and beyond. Many clients also turn to us for our robust OSHA practice, which includes compliance issues, safety measures, inspections, accident investigations, and contesting OSHA citations – every area where OSHA compliance and potential problems may be involved. We are one of the few firms with a focused OSHA practice for the construction industry.
Other compliance areas with which we regularly assist clients include immigration compliance and audits and Fair Housing Act and ADA compliance.
Construction Industry Disputes
One of the hallmarks of our construction practice is knowing how to set you up for success with well-executed transactions. When conflicts do occur, we will always try to resolve them outside the courtroom when possible. For example, among the recent settlements we have achieved for clients are:
- Settlements for home builders and general contractors in cases ranging from $200,000 to $20,000,000
- Settlements for a subcontractors and construction-related product manufactures in cases ranging from $150,000 to $15,000,000
- Settlements for subcontractors and general contractors on their claims for compensation ranging from $50,000 to more than $3,000,000
However, when a trial or arbitration becomes necessary, our successes for construction industry clients are well known. Unlike many firms that may devote excessive time and resources to discovery, we actually try cases in courtrooms and, increasingly, in arbitration forums.
Our attorneys have the experience to guide clients through trials and arbitrations regarding such issues as:
- Claim administration
- Contract litigation in state/federal courts and arbitration
- Construction and design defect litigation
- Lien, bond, and payment disputes
- Acceleration claims
- Presentation of material events of default and project termination
- Delay and impact claims
- Warranty disputes
- Product defects
- Jobsite injury and wrongful death claims
- Large loss subrogation recoveries
- Wage/hour claims
- Bankruptcy and insolvency
Our attorneys are actively involved in top industry groups, including, but not limited to:
- TEXO, the construction industry trade association
- The Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW) Network
- Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) of Texas and Greater Houston
- Greater Houston Builders Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- National Association of Safety Professionals (NASP)
As part of providing a full spectrum of services to the industry, our team builds on advice and solutions by working in conjunction with the following practice groups:
The following are recent, representative construction-related transactional and litigation matters:
- Performed extensive contract drafting for a national developer regarding commercial, multi-family, and retail projects throughout the country.
- Represented a minority-owned highway and bridge specialty subcontractor as general corporate counsel in contract negotiations and prosecution/defense of litigation.
- Defended a subcontractor and its principal against seven-figure claims asserted by a surety regarding several municipal projects.
- Represented a leading multi-family developer, as ranked by National Multi-Family Housing Council (NMHC), in obtaining financing for, developing, and managing the construction of several apartment complexes in Texas.
- On behalf of a national fitness retailer, prosecuted fraud claims against a general contractor regarding the development and construction of several facilities.
- Represented a leading construction materials producer in a payment and construction defect dispute with a general contractor related to the construction of two out-of-state plants.
- Represented a commercial general contractor regarding a contract dispute and enforcement of a mechanic's lien in a bet-the-company case.